"If we care enough, the opposite of more is better."
As trainers we tend to get caught up in the quest for more. More hours. More training. More equipment. More trainers.
It is easy to get caught up in the quest for more, but more is now always better. Sometimes it is just more.
The challenge in Seth Godin's quote is to ask yourself, "Do I care enough to shift my focus from more, to better?"
That shift starts with asking questions:
- What have you done to enhance the learning experience for your people in the last year?
- When was the last time you updated the content in your training?
- When was the last time you updated your PowerPoint presentations?
- When was the last time you changed the drills and exercises in your training programs?
- When was the last time you asked, "How can I cut back on the amount of lecture time and build in more guided facilitation?"
- When was the last time you updated the scenarios so they are more reflective of the challenges facing your people today?
- When was the last time you asked your officers what they needed for training?
- What have you done in the last 3 months, the last 6 months, the last 12 months to make yourself a better trainer?
- What can you do right now to make the training you deliver better? Not better for you; better for the men and women who attend the training. The men and women you have the privilege and honour to serve as a trainer.
I am a fan of more training time and increased frequency of training, as long as the emphasis is on better, and not just more. More without better simply frustrates people and turns them off going to training.
Winning Mind Training - Dedicated to helping good trainers become great trainers and great trainers to deliver awesome training.
The Excellence in Training Academy - Where trainers come to grow. Committed to serving law enforcement trainers and leaders to help them learn and grow.
Check out the free Introductory webinar and Featured Interview at www.excellenceintrainingacademy.com
Join the Excellence in Training Academy using the code eitblog to the the first month membership free.
Interested in hosting an Excellence in Training Seminar? Contact to me at firstname.lastname@example.org and we can work together to determine what will best suit your needs.